Estate Wheel of Fortune – Animal Mill

Wheel of Fortune is in both estates 38 & 39 in St. Croix’s West End Quarter, with estate 38 being of interest on this page. Based on appearances on historic maps, the animal mill was likely built by 1750.

The first sign of settlement on historic maps in estate 38 is the animal mill on the 1750 map. While the animal mill does not appear on the first Beck printing, it does appear on the second printing. Most of the later variants of the Beck map included an animal mill, although the Küffner map only indicates a settlement. The 1767 annotated Beck map has the animal mill scratched out. None of the maps from the 1778 Oxholm map and later show any structures in estate 38, with any sugar processing likely moved east to the other part of Wheel of Fortune.

Ownership attribution in 1750 is to the widow Schempen. The 1766 Beck variants name John Willet, while the 1767 and 1770 variants name Joergen Hardung. The 1778 Oxholm map attributed ownership to Hardung’s heirs. By the 1790s ownership transitioned simply to Hardung.

McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p. 198) notes Wheel of Fortune combined with a number of other estates and was nearly all in sugar cane in the 1920s.

Historic Maps of Wheel of Fortune, estate 38

Snippet of the U.S. Geological Service topographic map 1982 featuring West End Quarter estate #38, currently named Wheel of Fortune.
The 1982 USGS topo map does not indicate any ruins at Wheel of Fortune.
Snippet of the U.S. Geological Service topographic map of 1958 featuring West End Quarter estate #38, currently named Wheel of Fortune.
The 1958 USGS topo map does not indicate any ruins at Wheel of Fortune.
Snippet of the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey topographic map of 1920 featuring West End Quarter estate #38, currently named Wheel of Fortune.
The 1920 USCGS topographic map shows no structures in the area of estate 38.
Snippet of the Danish Atlantic Islands Association map of 1907 featuring West End Quarter estate #38, currently named Wheel of Fortune.
The 1907 map indicates no settlement in the area of estate 38.
Snippet of the Parsons map of 1856 featuring West End Quarter estate #38, currently named Wheel of Fortune.
Parsons’ 1856 map depicts no structures in the area of Wheel of Fortune.
Snippet of the Oxholm map of 1799 featuring West End Quarter estate #38, currently named Wheel of Fortune.
Oxholm’s 1799 map shows no structures in estate 38.
Snippet of the Janssen map of 1791 featuring West End Quarter estate #38, currently named Wheel of Fortune.
The 1791 manuscript map after Beck by Janssen attributes ownership to Hardung for estate 38.
Snippet of the Mühlenfels map of 1790featuring West End Quarter estate #38, currently named Wheel of Fortune.
The 1790 map after Beck by Mühlenfels map attributes ownership to Hardung for estate 38.
Snippet of the Oxholm map of Frederiksted from 1778 featuring West End Quarter estate #38, currently named Wheel of Fortune.
Oxholm’s 1778 map of Frederiksted shows no structures in the area estate 38. Ownership is attributed to Friederich Hardung’s arvinger, or heirs.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of c.1770 featuring West End Quarter estate #38, currently named Wheel of Fortune.
The c.1770 annotated Beck map illustrates an animal mill and attributes ownership to Joergen Hardung.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of 1770 featuring West End Quarter estate #38, currently named Wheel of Fortune.
The 1770 annotated Beck map illustrates an animal mill and attributes ownership to Joergen Hardung.
Snippet of the undated annotated Beck map featuring West End Quarter estate #38, currently named Wheel of Fortune.
The undated annotated Beck map illustrates an animal mill and attributes ownership to Joergen Harding.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of 1767 featuring West End Quarter estate #38, currently named Wheel of Fortune.
The 1767 annotated Beck map illustrates the animal mill icon scratched out and attributes ownership to Joergen Hardung.
Snippet of the Küffner map of 1767 featuring West End Quarter estate #38, currently named Wheel of Fortune.
Küffner’s 1767 Beck replica includes an indication of settlement in the area of estate 38.
Snippet of the Zöllner manuscript copy of Beck from 1766 featuring West End Quarter estate #38, currently named Wheel of Fortune.
The 1766 Zöllner manuscript copy of Beck map illustrates an animal mill and attributes ownership to John Willet.
Snippet of the 1766 unsigned Beck manuscript copy featuring West End Quarter estate #38, currently named Wheel of Fortune.
The 1766 unsigned manuscript copy of Beck map illustrates an animal mill and attributes ownership to John Willet.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of 1766 featuring West End Quarter estate #38, currently named Wheel of Fortune.
The 1766 annotated Beck map illustrates no icon and attributes ownership to John Willet.
Snippet of the Beck map printed circa 1757 featuring West End Quarter estate #38, currently named Wheel of Fortune.
The second Beck map printing shows an animal mill near the center of estate 38.
Snippet of the Beck map printed in 1754 featuring West End Quarter estate #38, currently named Wheel of Fortune.
The first Beck map printing shows no structures in estate 38.
Snippet of the Cronenberg and von Jaegersberg map of 1750 featuring West End Quarter estate #38, currently named Wheel of Fortune.
By 1749, sugar cane is being grown in the estate, evidenced by the yellow coloring. Plantation structures and an animal mill are in the center of the estate. A slave village is depicted east of the other structures near the center of the estate. Ownership attributed to Enk Schempen.