Two Williams is estate 19 in St. Croix’s West End Quarter. A windmill appears on the 1856 Parsons map, and the 1920s topographic map indicates a mill. Field reconnaissance failed to locate any ruins identifiable as a windmill.
The estate now known as Two Williams does not appear to have been settled in the French period. By 1750 sugar cultivation in the southwest quadrant of the estate requires several structures.
Both of the Beck printed maps of the 1750s include an animal mill in the south center of estate 19. All the annotated Beck maps and the manuscript copies of the 1760s depict the printed animal mill. Similarly, Oxholm’s 1778 map of Frederiksted includes an animal mill in the western half of estate 19.
While Thom Schmid is indicated as owning all of estate 19 on the 1750 map, ownership on all the annotated Beck maps and manuscript copies splits the estate east and west, with Thom Smitt owning the west and John Rouan owning the east. Oxholm’s 1778 map and the 1790s manuscript copies of Beck split ownership to Thom Smith in the west and Heyliger in the east.
The 1799 Oxholm map includes an animal mill in the east center of estate two Williams. The 1856 Parsons map indicates a windmill in a similar location at Two Williams.
The 1920s topographic map locates the Two Williams Mill at 167 feet elevation, with other structures to the west. The 1958 and 1982 topographic maps indicate no ruins suggesting a windmill at Two Williams. Field reconnaissance failed to locate evidence of the windmill.
As the McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p. 192) describes, a Moravian school was in the southwest corner of this estate. The land was once divided east and west, being owned by John Rouan and Thomas Smith, creating a mystery of when the Williams owned it.