Two Brothers is estate 37 in St. Croix’s West End Quarter. The windmill was likely built in the 19th century. The windmill tower is half collapsed above the impressive masonry basement.
The estate now known as Two Brothers appears to have been settled during the French period under the name Lesperance, or Hope. The 1750 map shows cotton cultivation in estate 39, a curious mis-numbering. Both printed Beck maps of the 1750s depict no sugar machinery in estate 37.
None of the annotated Beck maps along with both manuscript copies from the 1760s include sugar machinery in estate 37. However, nearly all of these maps, along with the 1750 map, attribute ownership to Johan Hendricksen. The 1770 annotated Beck map attributes ownership to Johan Dieterich. The 1790s manuscript maps attribute ownership to Forster.
The 1778 and 1799 Oxholm maps includes an animal mill in the north of estate 37, the latter naming it two brothers. The 1856 Parsons map indicates a windmill in a similar location at Two Brothers, with structures to the west.
The 1920s topographic map locates a mill at Two Brothers at at 60 foot elevation along with a Mill with fan just to the west of that at a 40 foot elevation. The 1958 and 1982 topographic maps indicate ruins of a windmill at Two Brothers in a similar location at 60 feet elevation, confirmed through field reconnaissance.
As the McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p. 191-192) describes, this estate later combined with Wheel of Fortune estate.