Estate The Brook – Animal Mill

The Brook is estate 29 in St. Croix’s West End Quarter. Today, the estate is also known as Brooks Hill. Based on appearances on historic maps, the animal mill was likely built in the late 1750s or early 1760s.

The animal mill was likely built in the late 1750s or 1760s, being absent on the two printings of the Beck map. Most of the variants of the Beck map included an animal mill in estate 29, except the 1770 annotated copy with no animal mill and the Küffner map with only a settlement. The 1799 Oxholm map includes an animal mill in the northeast corner of the brook. The Parsons map has structures in the area analogous to the previous maps. None of the topographic maps have structures noted.

Ownership attribution in 1750 is to the widow Helsi. The 1766 Beck variants name Cornelius Hendricksen, the 1767 variants name Cornel Kortrek, and the 1770 variants either Holiday or Cornel Kortright. By the 1790s ownership transitioned to Penthony.

McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p. 41) notes the Brook estate was combined with Beck Grove and in the 1920s was overgrown with grass, thickets, and trees. Today, the estate is also known as Brooks Hill.

Historic Maps of The Brook, or Brooks Hill

Snippet of the U.S. Geological Service topographic map 1982 featuring West End Quarter estate #29, currently named The Brook.
The 1982 USGS topo map does not indicate any ruins at The Brook.
Snippet of the U.S. Geological Service topographic map of 1958 featuring West End Quarter estate #29, currently named The Brook.
The 1958 USGS topo map does not indicate any ruins at The Brook.
Snippet of the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey topographic map of 1920 featuring West End Quarter estate #29, currently named The Brook.
The 1920 USCGS topographic map shows no structures in the area of estate 29.
Snippet of the Danish Atlantic Islands Association map of 1907 featuring West End Quarter estate #29, currently named The Brook.
The 1907 map indicates no settlement in the area of estate 29.
Snippet of the Parsons map of 1856 featuring West End Quarter estate #29, currently named The Brook.
Parsons’ 1856 map depicts structures but nothing resembling a mill in the area of The Brook.
Snippet of the Oxholm map of 1799 featuring West End Quarter estate #29, currently named The Brook.
Oxholm’s 1799 map shows an animal mill in the northeast corner of the brook.
Snippet of the Janssen map of 1791 featuring West End Quarter estate #29, currently named The Brook.
The 1791 manuscript map after Beck by Janssen attributes ownership to Penthony for estate 29.
Snippet of the Mühlenfels map of 1790featuring West End Quarter estate #29, currently named The Brook.
The 1790 map after Beck by Mühlenfels map attributes ownership to Penthony for estate 29.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of c.1770 featuring West End Quarter estate #29, currently named The Brook.
The c.1770 annotated Beck map illustrates a hand-drawn animal mill and attributes ownership to Cornel Kortright.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of 1770 featuring West End Quarter estate #29, currently named The Brook.
The 1770 annotated Beck map illustrates no icon and attributes ownership to Holiday.
Snippet of the undated annotated Beck map featuring West End Quarter estate #29, currently named The Brook.
The undated annotated Beck map illustrates a hand-drawn animal mill and attributes ownership to Cornel Kortrek.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of 1767 featuring West End Quarter estate #29, currently named The Brook.
The 1767 annotated Beck map illustrates a hand-drawn animal mill and attributes ownership to Cornel Kortrek.
Snippet of the Küffner map of 1767 featuring West End Quarter estate #29, currently named The Brook.
Küffner’s 1767 Beck replica includes an indication of settlement in the area of estate 29.
Snippet of the Zöllner manuscript copy of Beck from 1766 featuring West End Quarter estate #29, currently named The Brook.
The 1766 Zöllner manuscript copy of Beck map illustrates an animal mill and attributes ownership to Cornelis Hendricksen.
Snippet of the 1766 unsigned Beck manuscript copy featuring West End Quarter estate #29, currently named The Brook.
The 1766 unsigned manuscript copy of Beck map illustrates map illustrates an animal mill and attributes ownership to Cornelius Hendrichsen.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of 1766 featuring West End Quarter estate #29, currently named The Brook.
The 1766 annotated Beck map illustrates a hand-drawn animal mill and attributes ownership to Cornelis Hendricksen.
Snippet of the Beck map printed circa 1757 featuring West End Quarter estate #29, currently named The Brook.
Neither Beck printing show structures in estate 29.
Snippet of the Beck map printed in 1754 featuring West End Quarter estate #29, currently named The Brook.
Neither Beck printing show structures in estate 29.
Snippet of the Cronenberg and von Jaegersberg map of 1750 featuring West End Quarter estate #29, currently named The Brook.
By 1749, the estate has little detail except the stream and some trees.