Stony Ground is estate 7 in St. Croix’s West End Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the animal mill was likely built in the mid 1750s.
Cotton is indicated being grown on the 1750 map in estate 7. Two animal mills were likely built in the mid-1750s by virtue of appearing on the second printing of the Beck map. All the later variants of the Beck map included two animal mills. The 1778 and 1799 Oxholm maps include an animal mill at Stony Ground. Of the subsequent maps, the Parsons map has structures in the area analogous to the previous maps and the Danish Atlantic Islands Association indicates a settlement. Of the topographic maps, the 1920s maps has no structures, but the 1958 and 1982 maps indicate ruins.
Ownership attribution in 1750 is to the widow Poord. The Beck variants attribute divided ownership to John Hendrick Barns in the north, Theobald Burke in the center, & P Heyliger in the south, with minor spelling variations. The Oxholm map of 1778 attributes ownership to Madame Barnes, while the 1790s maps attribute divided ownership to Barns in the north, Wm DS Newton in the center, & P Heyliger’s heirs in the south for estate 7.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p. 184) notes the estate was overgrown with scrub, bushes, mampu, cocoloba, and tamarind in the 1920s. Notes how the ownership was incorporated with the nearby Wheel of Fortune estate.