St. George’s Hill is estate 26 in St. Croix’s West End Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the animal mill was likely built in the mid 1750s.
The first sign of settlement on historic maps in estate 26 is the animal mill likely built in the mid-1750s by virtue of appearing on the second printing of the Beck map. All the later variants of the Beck map included an animal mill, although the Küffner map only indicates a settlement. The 1799 Oxholm map includes an animal mill at St Georges hill in the southeast corner of estate 26. The Parsons map shows some structures at St Georges Hill and the Danish Atlantic Islands Association indicates a settlement. Of the topographic maps, the 1920s map shows a structure at Robe Hill in the area where Oxholm denoted an animal mill.
The Beck variants attribute ownership to Thomas Armstrong or his heirs, with the lack of heirs curiously on the 1770 map, with minor spelling variations. One difference is the 1766 unsigned manuscript copy of Beck that attributes ownership to Arensstron The 1790s maps also attribute ownership to Armstrong.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p. 167) cautions confusing St Georges Hill in West End Quarter with St. George Estate in Prince Quarter and notes the estate was known as Robe Hill in the 1920s.