Mars Hill is estate 22 in St. Croix’s West End Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the animal mill was likely built in the mid 1750s.
Cotton is indicated being grown on the 1750 map in estate 22. The animal mill was likely built in the mid-1750s second printing of the Beck map. All the later variants of the Beck map included an animal mill. The 1766 annotated Beck map and unsigned manuscript copy both had 2 animal mills, one in the north and one in the south. The 1778 and 1799 Oxholm maps include an animal mill at Mars hill in the northern half of estate 22. None of the subsequent maps indicate structures in the area.
Ownership attribution in 1750 is to Paul Vaughan in the north and Johan Barnsbee in the south. The Beck variants present similar ownership notations, with minor spelling variations. The Oxholm map of 1778 attributes ownership to Paul Vaughan in the north and Madame Barns in the south, similar to the 1790s maps.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p. 125-6) notes the estate also called The Oval. In the 1920s, the estate mostly in sugar cane with some pasture.