Little La Grange includes both estates 30 and 33 in St. Croix’s West End Quarter. For this page, the portion in estate 30 is of interest. Based on appearances on historic maps, the animal mill was likely built in the late 1750s or early 1760s.
The interest here is the portion of Little La Grange in estate 30, since the windmill and other structures are found in estate 33. The first sign of an animal mill in estate 30 is the 1766 annotated and manuscript variants of the Beck Map. The animal mill also appears on the 1767 and c.1770 maps, not appearing on the 1770 annotated copy of Beck. The Oxholm and Parsons maps indicate structures consistent with the estate 33 location, with nothing substantial in estate 30. None of the topographic maps indicate structures in the estate 30 area.
Ownership of estate 30 is attributed to Cornelis Hendricksen on the Beck variants. The 1790s maps also attribute ownership to Hendricksen.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p. 117) notes the combination of estates 30 and 33 in Little Grange, cautioning confusion with Grange, and later into Logan Estate with Jolly Hill. Notes extensive banana fields.