Estate Hope – Animal Mill

Hope is estate 12 in St. Croix’s West End Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the animal mill was likely built in the late 1750s or early 1760s.

Cotton is indicated being grown on the 1750 map in estate 12. The animal mill was likely built in the late 1750s or 1760s, being absent on the two printings of the Beck map. The variants of the Beck map included an animal mill in the western portion of estate 12, except the 1770 annotated copy. The 1778 and 1799 Oxholm maps include an animal mill in the southwest corner of Hope. The Parsons map has structures in the area analogous to the previous maps. Of the topographic maps only the 1920s maps has structures noted as Old Works in the southeast corner of Hope.

Ownership attribution in 1750 is to the widow Helsi. The Beck variants uniformly name John Jelliff in the west and John Smith in the east, with minor spelling variations. The Oxholm map of 1778 attributes ownership to John Smith in the north and John Fullet in the south, while the 1790s maps split ownership of estate 12 to Smith in the north and Rattoon in the south, with minor spelling variations.

McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (pp. 95-96) notes an old sugar fanmill 1/8 mile from shore in estate 12, Hope.

Historic Maps of Hope

Snippet of the U.S. Geological Service topographic map 1982 featuring West End Quarter estate #12, currently named Hope.
The 1982 USGS topo map does not indicate any ruins at Hope.
Snippet of the U.S. Geological Service topographic map of 1958 featuring West End Quarter estate #12, currently named Hope.
The 1958 USGS topo map does not indicate any ruins at Hope.
Snippet of the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey topographic map of 1920 featuring West End Quarter estate #12, currently named Hope.
The 1920 USCGS topographic map shows an Old Works and other structures at Hope.
Snippet of the Danish Atlantic Islands Association map of 1907 featuring West End Quarter estate #12, currently named Hope.
The 1907 map indicates no settlement in the area of estate 12.
Snippet of the Parsons map of 1856 featuring West End Quarter estate #12, currently named Hope.
Parsons’ 1856 map depicts structures but nothing resembling a mill at Good Hope.
Snippet of the Oxholm map of 1799 featuring West End Quarter estate #12, currently named Hope.
Oxholm’s 1799 map shows an animal mill in the southeast corner of Hope.
Snippet of the Janssen map of 1791 featuring West End Quarter estate #12, currently named Hope.
The 1791 manuscript map after Beck by Janssen attributes ownership to Smith (N) & Rattoon (S) for estate 12.
Snippet of the Mühlenfels map of 1790featuring West End Quarter estate #12, currently named Hope.
The 1790 map after Beck by Mühlenfels map attributes ownership to Smith (N) & Rattoon (S) for estate 12.
Snippet of the Oxholm map of Frederiksted from 1778 featuring West End Quarter estate #12, currently named Hope.
Oxholm’s 1778 map of Frederiksted shows an animal mill and other structures in the extreme southeast corner, Ownership attributed to John Fullet in the south and John Smith in the north.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of c.1770 featuring West End Quarter estate #12, currently named Hope.
The c.1770 annotated Beck map illustrates a hand-drawn animal mill and attributes ownership to John Telliff.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of 1770 featuring West End Quarter estate #12, currently named Hope.
The 1770 annotated Beck map illustrates no icon and attributes ownership to John Tulliff.
Snippet of the undated annotated Beck map featuring West End Quarter estate #12, currently named Hope.
The undated annotated Beck map illustrates a hand-drawn animal mill and attributes ownership to John Telliff.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of 1767 featuring West End Quarter estate #12, currently named Hope.
The 1767 annotated Beck map illustrates a hand-drawn animal mill and attributes ownership to John Telliff.
Snippet of the Küffner map of 1767 featuring West End Quarter estate #12, currently named Hope.
Küffner’s 1767 Beck replica includes an indication of settlement in the area of estate 12.
Snippet of the Zöllner manuscript copy of Beck from 1766 featuring West End Quarter estate #12, currently named Hope.
The 1766 Zöllner manuscript copy of Beck map illustrates an animal mill and attributes ownership to John Tellif.
Snippet of the 1766 unsigned Beck manuscript copy featuring West End Quarter estate #12, currently named Hope.
The 1766 unsigned manuscript copy of Beck map illustrates an animal mill and attributes no ownership.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of 1766 featuring West End Quarter estate #12, currently named Hope.
The 1766 annotated Beck map illustrates a hand-drawn animal mill and attributes ownership to John Tellif.
Snippet of the Beck map printed circa 1757 featuring West End Quarter estate #12, currently named Hope.
Neither Beck printing show structures in estate 12.
Snippet of the Beck map printed in 1754 featuring West End Quarter estate #12, currently named Hope.
Neither Beck printing show structures in estate 12.
Snippet of the Cronenberg and von Jaegersberg map of 1750 featuring West End Quarter estate #12, currently named Hope.
By 1749, cotton is being grown in the estate, evidenced by the blue coloring. Plantation structures in the southeast corner of the estate. Ownership attributed to Enke Helsi.