Hope and Carlton Land is estate 11 in St. Croix’s West End Quarter. This windmill has the distinction of not appearing on any historic maps, first appearing on the 1920s topographic maps. This windmill is in good condition.
The estate now known as Hope and Carlton Land does not appear to have been settled during the French period. The 1750 map indicates cotton cultivation on the northern part of the estate. The printed Beck maps of the 1750s depict no sugar machinery in estate 11.
All of the annotated Beck maps along with both manuscript copies from the 1760s that updated sugar machinery include a hand-drawn animal mill in the southern portion of estate 11. Oxholm’s 1799 map depicts an animal mill in the western extreme of the unnamed estsate 11. Parsons map of 1856 depicts no structures or name for this estate.
Ownership attribution on the 1750 map to Schmidt’s widow and heirs shifts to Jerm. Smith using a variety of spellings on the annotated Beck maps and manuscript copies of the 1760s. Two exceptions to this attribute ownership to Richard Buntin, with the same attribution on Oxholm’s 1778 map of Frederiksted. The 1790s manuscript copies of Beck attribute ownership to Hendricksen.
The 1920s topographic map locates a tower at Hope at a 14 foot elevation with old works immediately to the west. The 1958 and 1982 topographic maps indicate a tower but no historic structures or ruins at Hope and Carlton Land.
As the McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p. 95-96) describes, sugar cane was still cultivated here in the 1920s. The old sugar fanmill 1/8 mile from shore is mentioned.