Hesselberg is estate 24 in St. Croix’s West End Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the animal mill was likely built, if an animal mill was built in this estate, in the late 1750s or early 1760s.
Of all the historic maps, only the manuscript copy of Beck of 1766 includes an animal mill, suggesting an animal mill may not have actually have been constructed in estate 24.
In 1750, ownership attributed to Dan’l Schmidt. The Beck variants along with the 1778 Oxholm map uniformly name Engelbert Hesselberg, with minor spelling variations. By the 1790s, ownership split between Hendricksen & Barns in the west and Hesselberg in the east.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p. 94) indicates the estate was in grassland and scattered trees in the 1920s.