Hannah’s Rest is estate 22 in St. Croix’s West End Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the animal mill was likely built in the early 1750s.
Sugar cane is indicated being grown on the 1750 map in estate 6. The animal mill was likely built in the early 1750s first printing of the Beck map. All the later variants of the Beck map included an animal mill. The 1778 and 1799 Oxholm maps include an animal mill at Hannah’s Rest. Of the subsequent maps, the Parsons map has structures in the area analogous to the previous maps and the Danish Atlantic Islands Association indicates a settlement. Of the topographic maps only the 1920s maps has structures.
Ownership attribution in 1750 is to Heiliger Senior. The Beck variants uniformly name William Heyliger, with minor spelling variations. The Oxholm map of 1778 attributes ownership to Madame Heiliger, while the 1790s maps name simply Heyliger.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p. 92) noted in the 1920s the land was reputed as squatters’ land, producing cane, grass, and truck.