Good Hope is estate 13 in St. Croix’s West End Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the animal mill was likely built in the mid 1750s.
Provisions are indicated being grown on the 1750 map in estate 13. The first appearance of sugar cultivation in Good Hope, West End estate13 is an animal mill icon on the mid-1750s second printing of the Beck map. All the later variants of the Beck map included an animal mill, although the Küffner map only indicates a settlement, indicating ownership by Soebothker in the area. The 1778 and 1799 Oxholm maps include an animal mill at good hope. Of the subsequent maps, the Danish Atlantic Islands Association indicates a settlement and the 1920s topographic map indicates an old mill toward the north of the estate.
Ownership attribution in 1750 is to Johann Schmid. The Beck variants uniformly name John Smith, with minor spelling variations. The Oxholm map of 1778 also attributes ownership to John Smith, while the 1790s maps name Smith’s heirs.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p. 84) indicates that in the 1920s, the estate was planted in sugar cane and pastureland, with historically being associates with John Smitt’s plantation.