Frederiks Haab is estate 25 in St. Croix’s West End Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the animal mill was likely built in the mid 1750s.
Provisions are indicated being grown on the 1750 map in estate 25. The first appearance of sugar cultivation in Frederiks Haab is an animal mill icon on the mid-1750s second printing of the Beck map. All the later variants of the Beck map included an animal mill, although the Küffner map only indicates a settlement. The 1778 and 1799 Oxholm maps include an animal mill at Frederichs Haab. None of the subsequent maps indicate structures in the area.
Ownership attribution in 1750 is to Hans Neilsen Stang. The Beck variants uniformly name Friedrich Christian Heitman, with minor spelling variations. The Oxholm map of 1778 and 1790s maps also attribute ownership to Heitman.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p. 79-80) notes the name translates to “Frederik’s Hope” and the estate merged with neighboring Wheel of Fortune. In the 1920s, the area was planted in cane, bush, and grass.