Concordia includes estates 20 & 21 in St. Croix’s West End Quarter. The windmill here was one of the first 3 built on St. Croix, appearing on the 1750 map and having the date 1749 inscribed on the main entrance keystone. This windmill was inaccurately place on the first maps of St. Croix in the Danish period. The windmill was blocked to store water and remains in good condition.
The estate now known as Concordia appears to have been settled in the French period by Pontoise. This previous settlement may have facilitated the establishment of sugar cultivation and a windmill in the southeastern quadrant of estate 21 and much of estate 21 and some of estate 20 planted in provisions by 1750. Appearance on this map is consistent with the date 1749 inscribed on the windmill’s keystone.
Like the Cronenberg and Jægersberg map of 1750, both of the Beck printed maps of the 1750s also include a windmill in the southeastern quadrant of estate 21, south and west of the road to Frederiksted. All the annotated Beck maps and one of the manuscript copies of the 1760s all depict a windmill in the same place in estate 21. The 1766 manuscript copy of Beck by Zöllner is the first map to correctly place the windmill in the southwestern quadrant of estate 20, north and east of the road.
Ownership on nearly all these maps is attributed Peter Heÿliger Senior, with a variety of spellings. Ownership attributed on Küffner’s 1767 map is also to Heiliger. The annotated Beck map of 1770, along with the 1778 Oxholm map and 1790s manuscript copies of Beck, attribute ownership to Peter Heiliger Senior’s heirs.
The 1778 and 1799 Oxholm maps include a windmill in the southwest quadrant of estate 20, with the 1799 map naming it Concordia. The 1778 map locates other structures to the north and west and a slave village to the north of the windmill. The 1856 Parsons map indicates a plantation structures but no windmill tower at Concordia.
The 1920s topographic map locates the Concordia Mill south of other structures. The 1958 and 1982 topographic maps indicate a windmill ruin at Concordia consistent with the windmill located through field reconnaissance.
As the McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p. 57-58) describes, the road to Frederiksted goes through the estate. The mill is located on a 120-foot rise, about 2,000 yards from the coast.