Carlton includes estates 2 & 3 in St. Croix’s West End Quarter. One windmill ruin was converted to a dwelling at some point. Based on the inscription on the keystone of the main entrance, this windmill was likely built in 1763 by Nicolay Dunbavin. The Parsons map of 1856 indicates two closely located windmills. The indication of an old mill on the 1920s topographic map suggests another windmill may have operated here, although that indication may have been for a well tower.
The estate now known as Carlton does not appear to have been settled during the French period. The 1750 map indicates sugar cultivation on the northern half of the estate, but with no sugar machinery depicted.
The printed Beck maps of the 1750s depicted an animal mill on the northern half of the estate. On three of the annotated Beck maps and one of the manuscript copies of the 1760s, sails drawn on the animal mill indicate the construction of a windmill. One of the manuscript copy maps depicts an animal mill, attributing ownership to Nicolay Donbavins.
One of the annotated Beck maps and a manuscript copy attribute ownership to Nicolay Dunbavins’ heirs. Most of the annotated Beck maps, attribute ownership to Roger Ferrall, sometimes together with Nicholas Tuite. The 1790s manuscript copies of Beck attribute ownership to Bradshaw.
The 1799 Oxholm map and 1856 Parsons map both name the estate Carlton. Oxholm places a windmill in the north center of the estate while Parsons depicts two closely co-located windmills in a similar position.
The 1920s topographic map locates the Carlton Mill just east of the old works, consistent with findings from field reconnaissance. A second notation in the southwest corner of the estate locates an Old Mill at 47 feet elevation. The 1958 and 1982 topographic maps both locate ruins of one windmill in the north center of estate Carlton consistent with field reconnaissance.
As the McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (pp. 49-50) describes, sugar cane was still cultivated here in the 1920s.