Carlton is estate 3 in St. Croix’s West End Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the animal mill was likely built by 1750.
The first appearance of settlement in Carlton West End Quarter Estate #3 is an animal mill icon on the manuscript map of 1750. All the variants of the Beck map included an animal mill. None of the subsequent maps locate any structures in West End Quarter estate 3.
In 1750, ownership is attributed to Whate. Ownership attribution on most of the Beck variants name Roger Ferrall, with minor spelling variations. The exception is the unsigned manuscript copy of Beck of 1766 attributing ownership to Dellanie widow. The 1790s maps attribute ownership to Bradshaw.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (pp. 49-50) does not include estate 3 in its description of Estate Carlton.