What is today Cane Estate was likely the Sugar Works of the English during the French period. Previous settlement likely helped early Danish cultivation at Cane Estate, indicated on the 1750 map with sugar indicated being cultivated and an animal mill under the ownership of Manning Roger.
The printed Beck maps in the 1750s depicted an animal mill in an analogous position to the 1750 map, in the north central portion of the estate and just to the east of the stream. The annotated Beck maps plus the manuscript copies of the 1760s all attributed ownership to Manning Roger and none updated the animal mill to a windmill.
By 1790, Manning Roger apparently had died, with ownership attributed to his heirs. The 1799 Oxholm map and 1856 Parsons map both spell the estate name Cain, with Oxholm depicting an animal mill and Parsons depicting a windmill. The 1920s topographic map indicates a mill in ruins at Estate Cane with no indication of a windmill ruin on the 1958 or 1982 maps at Cane.
As the McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p. 47) describes, sugar cane was still cultivated here in the 1920s, with the name sometimes spelled Cain. Field reconnaissance located the foundation of a windmill around 1990.