Cane Valley is estate 27a in St. Croix’s West End Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the animal mill was likely built in the early 1750s.
The first appearance of settlement in Cane Valley is an animal mill icon on the first printing of the Beck map in the early 1750s. All the later variants of the Beck map included an animal mill, as does the 1799 Oxholm map at Cane Valley. The Parsons maps locates 2 clusters of structures at Cane Valley and the Danish Atlantic Islands Association indicates a settlement. None of the US topographic maps indicates any structures in Cane Valley.
Ownership attribution on the Beck variants uniformly name Thomas Dorsett, with minor spelling variations. In the 1790s, maps attribute ownership to Gordon.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p. 33) notes the location of the estate and Thomas Dorsett as proprietor.