The estate now known as Campo Rico appears to have been settled in the French period by Peron. This previous settlement may have facilitated the establishment of sugar cultivation and an animal mill in the northern half of the estate by 1750.
Both of the Beck printed maps of the 1750s include an animal mill in the north center of the estate. The annotated Beck maps and the manuscript copies of the 1760s all have an animal mill and attribute ownership to Cornel. Hendriksen, with a variety of spellings.
The 1778 Oxholm map of Frederiksted includes the Campo Rico estate, depicting a windmill in the west center of the estate, with an animal mill and other structures to the west including a slave village. Other structures are located to the north and east of the windmill. Like the annotated Beck maps, this map and the 1790s manuscript copies of Beck attribute ownership to Major Hendricksen, again with various spellings.
The 1799 Oxholm map includes a windmill in the west center of estate West End. The 1856 Parsons map indicates a windmill in a similar location at Campo Rico.
The 1920s topographic map locates the Camporico Mill at 57 feet elevation, along with other structures consistent with the 1778 map. The 1958 and 1982 topographic maps indicate a tower at the location of the windmill at Campo Rico located through field reconnaissance.
As the McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p. 46) describes, sugar cane was in cultivated in the 1920s and a mill specifically located 2/3 mile from the coast and 1.5 miles southeast of Frederiksted.