Becks Grove is estate 28 in St. Croix’s West End Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the animal mill was likely built in the early 1750s.
The first appearance of settlement in Becks Grove is an animal mill icon on the first printing of the Beck map in the early 1750s. All the later variants of the Beck map included an animal mill, although the Küffner map only indicates a settlement, attributing ownership to Beck. The 1799 Oxholm map includes an animal mill at Becks Grove. Of the subsequent maps, only the USGS maps of 1958 and 1982 indicate structures in the area.
Ownership attribution on the Beck variants uniformly name Cancely Radd J. Michelsen Beck, with minor spelling variations. The 1790s maps attribute ownership to Irwin.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p. 33) notes the mill is in the neighboring estate 9b of Prince Quarter, with the estate house in Cane Valley to the south in West End Quarter.