Work and Rest is estate 37 in St. Croix’s Queen’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the 1760s. The windmill has been reduced to a foundation.
The 1750 map indicates sugar cultivation and an animal mill in estate 37. Both Beck printings show an animal mill icon in the center of estate 37. The 1760s and 1770s maps added sails to the animal mill to depict a windmill.
The 1799 Oxholm map and 1856 Parsons map both depict a windmill. None of the 20th-century topographic maps show a structure identifiable as a windmill at Work and Rest.
Ownership attributed to Seeverin Seeberg. The maps from the 1760s and 1770s attribute ownership to General Krigs Comissair Lucas van Beverhout. By 1790, ownership transitioned to Peter Lotharius Oxholm.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (pp.200-201) provides location and early ownership information. Locates mill on last (meaning estate 37).