Strawberry Hill is estate 29 in St. Croix’s Queen’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the 1760s. The windmill was converted to a dwelling. The windmill tower is in good condition.
The 1750 map indicates sugar cultivation and an animal mill in estate 29. Both Beck printings show an animal mill. The 1760s and 1770s maps added sails to depict a windmill.
Both the 1799 Oxholm map and the 1856 Parsons map show a windmill at Strawberry Hill. All the 20th-century topographic maps show a structure identifiable as a windmill at Strawberry Hill.
The 1750 map attributes ownership to Childs heirs. The 1760s and 1770s maps attribute ownership to George Harris & Nicholay Tuite. By 1790, ownership transitioned to Stapleton & Tuite.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.185) provides location and early ownership information.