Sion Farm includes estates 26 & 27 in St. Croix’s Queen’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the 1750s in estate 27. The windmill was incorporated into the playground at the school. The windmill has been reduced to a foundation.
The 1750 map indicates sugar cultivation and structures including an animal mill in estate 27 but no cultivation in estate 26. Both Beck printings show a windmill icon in the west edge of estate 26 in the 1750s, with neither showing a sugar mill icon in estate 27, a representation consistent through the 1760s and 1770s.
The 1799 Oxholm map shows a windmill in estate 27 at Sion Farm. The 1856 Parsons map depicts a windmill at elevation 180 feet at Sion Farm, also on the estate 27 side.
The 1919 topographic sheet and the 1958 topographic map show ruins identifiable as a windmill right on the border line between estates 26 & 27. The 1982 photorevision does not show any ruins.
The 1750 map attributes ownership of estate 27 to Nicholas Touet, with no ownership attributed in estate 26. All the beck variants change the spelling to Nicolay Tuite. By 1790, ownership of transitioned to R. Tuite.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (pp.177-178) notes the location and early ownership, locating a house on 180-foot hill, ½ mile south of Sion Hill.