Peters Rest is estate 35 in St. Croix’s Queen’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the 1760s. The windmill was blocked to store water after decommissioning. The windmill tower is in good condition.
The 1750 map indicates sugar cultivation and an animal mill in estate 35. Both Beck printings also show an animal mill icon in the 1750s. By 1766, sails added to the animal mill depict a windmill.
The 1799 Oxholm map shows a windmill at Peters Ryst. The 1856 Parsons map shows a windmill at elevation 175 feet. All the 20th-century topographic maps show a structure identifiable as a windmill at Peters Rest.
The 1750 map attributes ownership to Pentrem Nuly, with Major De Nully attributed ownership through 1791.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.145) locates buildings on 180-foot rise toward southwest. In the 1920s, schools located here.