Pearl Bolton & Littledale is estate 38 in St. Croix’s Queen’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the 1760s and decommissioned before 1856. Field reconnaissance failed to locate ruins identifiable as a windmill.
The 1750 map indicates sugar cultivation and an animal mill in estate 38. Both Beck printings show an animal mill icon. The annotated Beck maps and manuscript copies add sails to the animal mill to depict a windmill in the 1760s and 1770s.
The 1799 Oxholm map shows a windmill at Morning star. The 1856 Parsons map shows no structure identifiable as a windmill. None of the 20th-century topographic maps show a structure identifiable as a windmill at Pearl.
The 1750 map attributes ownership to Martinburg, as do the 1766 maps. The 1767 and 1770 maps attribute ownership to Abraham Heyliger. By 1790, ownership transitioned to A. Heyliger heirs.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.144) notes the location and early ownership of estate Pearl. However, McGuire provides no entry for Bolton or Littledale.