Morningstar is estate 9 in St. Croix’s Queen’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the 1750s. The windmill was blocked to store water after decommissioning. The windmill tower is in good condition.
Signs of sugar cultivation initially appear on the second Beck printing in the mid-1750s with a windmill in estate 9. A windmill appears on the maps in the 1760s and 1770s.
The 1799 Oxholm map shows a windmill at Morning star. The 1856 Parsons map also shows a windmill. All the 20th-century topographic maps show a structure identifiable as a windmill at Morningstar.
In the 1760s, maps attributed ownership to Henry Ryan. From 1770 to 1791, ownership attributed to William McDougall.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.130) locates a mill on 160-foot hill, ¼ mile southeast of Concordia Creek.