Montpellier Dolby Hill is estate 3 in St. Croix’s Queen’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the 1740s, one of the oldest 3 windmills on St. Croix, and decommissioned before 1856. The windmill tower is in good condition.
Montpellier Dolby Hill is home to one of the three oldest windmill towers on St. Croix. The 1750 map indicates sugar cultivation with an animal mill and a windmill in estate 3. Both Beck printings show a windmill icon, a feature on all the annotated and manuscript copies of the Beck map in the 1760s and 1770s.
The 1799 Oxholm map shows a windmill at Montpellier. The 1856 Parsons map shows a tower without sails. All the 20th-century topographic maps show structures identifiable as a windmill at Montpellier.
The 1750 map attributes ownership to Simon de Cuivitre. These maps from the 1760s and 1770s attribute ownership to Peter Cornelius Low. By 1790, ownership transitioned to Charles Chevert.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (pp.66,129) locates a mill on road southwest of St. John.