Mary’s Fancy is estate 17 in St. Croix’s Queen’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the 1760s. The windmill was blocked to store water after decommissioning. The windmill tower is partly collapsed.
The 1750 map indicates sugar cultivation and an animal mill in estate 17. Both Beck printings show an animal mill icon in the center of estate 17. The annotated Beck maps and manuscript copies add sails to the animal mill to depict a windmill in the 1760s and 1770s.
The 1799 Oxholm map and the 1856 Parsons map show a windmill at Mary’s Fancy. None of the 20th-century topographic maps shows structures identifiable as a windmill at Mary’s Fancy.
The 1750 map attributes ownership to Niels Brown. The 1760s maps attribute ownership to William Davis. By 1770, ownership transitioned to De Nully, remaining so through 1791.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.127) locates buildings along road following crest of last spur.