Jerusalem & Figtree Hill is estate 41 in St. Croix’s Queen’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the 1760s and decommissioned before 1856. The windmill was likely demolished to make room for new construction. Field reconnaissance failed to locate ruins identifiable as a windmill.
The 1750 map indicates sugar cultivation and an animal mill in estate 41. Both Beck printings show an animal mill icon in the center of estate 40, an icon depicted on the maps through the 1760s. The c.1770 map adds sails to the animal mill to depict a windmill.
The 1799 Oxholm map shows a windmill in estate 41. The 1856 Parsons map show no structures that could be mistaken for a sugar mill. The 1921 topographic sheet and 1958 topographic map both show ruins identifiable as a windmill at Jerusalem and Figtree Hill. However, the 1982 topographic map does not show any ruins, with the area indicating presence of the oil refinery.
The 1750 map attributes ownership to Robert & James Handsen. The 1766 annotated map and both manuscript copies attribute ownership to Johannes Heyliger’s heirs. The 1767, c.1767, and c.1770 annotated Beck maps attribute ownership to Peter Heyliger Johnson, while the 1770 annotated map attributes ownership to Governor Heiliger’s heirs. By 1790, ownership transitioned to John Ferrall.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.100) locates a milltower, top 116 feet above sea, on 82-foot knoll, 850 yards north of Limetree Bay. McGuire identifies Jerusalem but has no entry for Figtree Hill.