Jerusalem & Figtree Hill is estate 40 in St. Croix’s Queen Quarter. The animal mill was likely built in the 1740s based on appearances on historic maps. Given the location in the industrial area, no remains of the ruins could likely be located.
The 1750 map indicates sugar cultivation and an animal mill in estate 40. Both Beck printings show an animal mill icon in the center of estate 40, an icon depicted on the maps through the 1760s and 1770s.
The 1799 Oxholm map and the 1856 Parsons map show no structures that could be mistaken for a sugar mill. None of the 20th-century topographic maps shows structures identifiable as a windmill at Jerusalem and Figtree Hill.
The 1750 map attributes ownership to Robert & James Handsen. The annotated Beck maps and manuscript copies split the ownership north and south, with B French attributed ownership in the north on the early maps and Peter Heyliger Johnson on the later maps. All maps attribute ownership of the southern portion to Jonathan Evans’ widow. By 1790, ownership transitioned to John Ferrall.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.100) locates a milltower, top 116 feet above sea, on 82-foot knoll, 850 yards north of Limetree Bay. McGuire identifies Jerusalem but has no entry for Figtree Hill.