Estate Humbug – Animal Mill

Humbug is estate 45 in St. Croix’s Queen Quarter. The animal mill was likely built in the 1740s based on appearances on historic maps. Estate 45 was split into north and south sections and both sections had an animal mill included in them on some maps.

The 1750 map indicates sugar cultivation and structures including an animal mill in estate 45. Both Beck printings show an animal mill icon. The annotated Beck maps and manuscript copies retained the animal mill through the 1760s and 1770s.

The 1799 Oxholm map and the 1856 Parsons map show no structures. None of the 20th-century topographic maps shows structures identifiable as a windmill at Humbug.

The 1750 map attributes ownership to Emmanuel Abgab. The maps from the 1760s and 1770s attribute ownership to Nicolay Salomon in the north and Christopher McEvoy in the south. By 1790, ownership transitioned to John Heyliger’s heirs.

McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.97) notes the location and early ownership, locating buildings on 100-foot rise in southeast. Notes in the 1920s, east half in sugar cane; remainder bush and grass.

Historic Maps of Humbug

Snippet of the U.S. Geological Service topographic maps of 1958 & 1982 featuring Queen Quarter estate #45, currently named Humbug.
The 1982 USGS topographic map shows no structures identifiable as an animal mill in the area of Humbug.
Snippet of the U.S. Geological Service topographic maps of 1958 & 1982 featuring Queen Quarter estate #45, currently named Humbug.
The 1958 USGS topographic map shows no structures identifiable as an animal mill in the area of Humbug.
Snippet of the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey topographic map of 1920 featuring Queen Quarter estate #45, currently named Humbug.
The 1919 USCGS topographic sheet shows no structures identifiable as an animal mill at Humbug.
Snippet of the Danish Atlantic Islands Association map of 1907 featuring Queen Quarter estate #45, currently named Humbug.
The 1907 map identifies no estate in the area of estate Humbug.
Snippet of the Parsons map of 1856 featuring Queen Quarter estate #45, currently named Humbug.
Parsons’ 1856 map depicts no structures in estate Humbug.
Snippet of the Oxholm map of 1799 featuring Queen Quarter estate #45, currently named Humbug.
Oxholm’s 1799 map shows no structures in estate 45.
Snippet of the Janssen map of 1791 featuring Queen Quarter estate #45, currently named Humbug.
The 1791 manuscript map after Beck by Janssen attributes ownership of estates 45 and to John Heyliger heirs.
Snippet of the Mühlenfels map of 1790 featuring Queen Quarter estate #45, currently named Humbug.
The 1790 manuscript map after Beck by Mühlenfels attributes ownership of estates 45 and to John Heyliger heirs.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of c.1770 featuring Queen's Quarter estate #45, currently named Humbug.
The annotated Beck map of c.1770 depicts two animal mills in estate 45 and attributes ownership to Nicolay Salomon in the north (combined with part of Queen Quarter estate 44) and Christopher McEvoy in the south (together with Queen Quarter estate 46).
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of 1770 featuring Queen's Quarter estate #45, currently named Humbug.
The annotated Beck map of 1770 depicts an animal mill in estate 45 and attributes ownership to Nicolay Salomon in the north (combined with part of Queen Quarter estate 44) and Christopher McEvoy in the south (together with Queen Quarter estate 46).
Snippet of the undated annotated Beck map of featuring Queen's Quarter estate #45, currently named Humbug.
The undated annotated Beck map of depicts an animal mill in estate 45 and attributes ownership to Nicolay Salomon in the north (combined with part of Queen Quarter estate 44) and Christopher McEvoy in the south (together with Queen Quarter estate 46).
Snippet of the Küffner map of 1767 featuring Queen Quarter estate #45, currently named Humbug.
The 1767 Küffner manuscript copy of Beck’s map depicts a sugar mill and attributes ownership to Salomon in the area of Humbug.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of 1767 featuring Queen's Quarter estate #45, currently named Humbug.
The annotated Beck map of 1767 depicts two animal mills in estate 45 and attributes ownership to Nicolay Salomon in the north (combined with part of Queen Quarter estate 44) and Christopher McEvoy in the south (together with Queen Quarter estate 46).
Snippet of the Zöllner manuscript copy of Beck from 1766 featuring Queen's Quarter estate #45, currently named Humbug.
The Zöllner manuscript copy of Beck from 1766 is damaged in estate 45.
Snippet of the 1766 unsigned Beck manuscript copy featuring Queen's Quarter estate #45, currently named Humbug.
The 1766 unsigned Beck manuscript copy depicts two animal mills in estate 45 and attributes ownership to Nicolay Salomon in the north (combined with part of Queen Quarter estate 44) and Christopher McEvoy in the south (together with Queen Quarter estate 46).
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of 1766 featuring Queen's Quarter estate #45, currently named Humbug.
The annotated Beck map of 1766 depicts two animal mills in estate 45 and attributes ownership to Nicolay Salomon in the north (combined with part of Queen Quarter estate 44) and Christopher McEvoy in the south (together with Queen Quarter estate 46).
Snippet of the Beck map printed circa 1757 featuring Queen's Quarter estate #45, currently named Humbug.
Both Beck printings show an animal mill icon in the north side of estate 45.
Snippet of the Beck map printed in 1754 featuring Queen's Quarter estate #45, currently named Humbug.
Both Beck printings show an animal mill icon in the north side of estate 45.
Snippet of the Cronenberg and von Jaegersberg map of 1750 featuring Queen Quarter estate #45, currently named Humbug.
The 1750 map by Cronenberg and von Jægersberg indicates sugar cultivation and structures including an animal mill in estate 45. Ownership attributed to Emmanuel Abgab.