Diamond is estate 28 in St. Croix’s Queen’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the 1760s. The windmill was incorporated into a dwelling. The windmill tower is in good condition.
The 1750 map indicates sugar cultivation and structures including an animal mill in estate 28. Both Beck printings show an animal mill icon in the center of estate 28. The annotated Beck maps and manuscript copies added sails to the animal mill to depict a windmill in the 1760s and 1770s.
The 1799 Oxholm map shows a windmill at Diamond. The 1856 Parsons map depicts a windmill at elevation 160 feet. The 1921 topographic sheet shows no structures identifiable as a windmill, although the two later topographic maps do show ruins identifiable as a windmill at Diamond.
The 1750 map attributes ownership to Jannis Jems. Maps from the 1760s and 1770s attribute ownership to Peter Heyliger Abrahamsen, who also owned the adjoining Queen’s Quarter estate 21, Ruby. By 1790 ownership transitioned to Heyliger heirs.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.65) notes the historic connection between estates Diamond and Ruby, immediately to the north.