Concordia includes estates 5 & 8 in St. Croix’s Queen’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the 1750s. The windmill tower is in good condition.
The 1750 map indicates sugar cultivation with structures including an animal mill in the estate 8 portion of Concordia in an area analogous with ruins located in the field. Both Beck printings and all the annotated Beck maps show a windmill icon in the southeast quadrant of estate 5. However, the manuscript copies include a windmill in estate 8, with the Zöllner manuscript copy also including a windmill in estate 5. The location of ruins in the field along with the later maps matching this location leads to the conclusion the printed Beck maps erroneously placed the windmill in estate 5.
The 1799 Oxholm map shows a windmill at Concordia, while the 1856 Parsons map shows a windmill along with a tower with no sails further downstream on Salt River. All the 20th-century topographic maps show ruins identifiable as a windmill at Concordia.
The 1750 map attributes ownership to Johan Wilhelm Schoppen & Adrian von Beverhout. The 1766 annotated Beck map and both 1766 manuscript copies attribute ownership to John Baker. The other annotated maps attribute ownership to Justice Raad Moth. By 1790 ownership transitioned to Oxholm.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.58) locates on north side of Concordia Gut, are the old mill tower and buildings. The overall location information includes the portions of Queen’s Quarter estates 4 &5 along with Northside B Quarter estates 2, 3, 9, & 10 with early ownership attribution to Moth. Also distinguishes this estate as Upper Concordia compared to Lower Concordia in West End Quarter.