Cassava Garden is estate 49 in St. Croix’s Queen Quarter. The animal mill was likely built in the 1760s based on appearances on historic maps. The location of the animal mill on the Beck map variants is in the far northwest corner, while the 1799 Oxholm map places the mill closer to the center of the estate.
The 1750 map indicates provision cultivation and structures in estate 49. While neither Beck printing shows a sugar mill icon in estate 49, the 1766 and 1767 annotated Beck maps and manuscript copies all depict an animal mill, while the three later annotated Beck maps do not.
The 1799 Oxholm map shows an animal mill at Cassava garden. Parsons’ 1856 map depicts a ruin at Cassava Garden. None of the 20th-century topographic maps shows structures identifiable as a windmill at Cassava Garden.
The 1750 map attributes ownership to Claxton. All of the 1760s and 1770s maps attribute ownership to Laurence Bladwell. The 1790 & 1791 maps attribute no ownership in estate 49.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.51) notes the location and early ownership of Estate Cassava Garden, locating the Estatehouse about 1,000 yards from Limetree Bay. Also highlights that Cassava Garden was combined with Pearl into Castle Coakley in 1854, different from the 1851 date indicated in the Castle Coakley entry.