Cane Garden is estate 46 in St. Croix’s Queen’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the late 18th century and decommissioned before 1856. The windmill tower is in good condition.
The 1750 map indicates provision cultivation in estate 46. None of the Beck variants depict a windmill in estate 46.
The 1799 Oxholm map shows a windmill at Cane Garden. The 1856 Parsons map depicts a windmill and a tower without sails with other structures. All the 20th century topographic maps indicate ruins identifiable as a windmill at Cane Garden.
The 1750 map attributes ownership to Joseph Robbensen. The maps in the 1760s and 1770s attribute ownership to John Suple, although the c.1770 annotated Beck map indicates ownership by Christopher McEvoy, an ownership consistent through 1791.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.47) locates the mill at right turn of Southside Road and notes this location is the site of old French Estate DuVal, which is a questionable claim.