Bonne Esperance is estate 18 in St. Croix’s Queen’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the late 18th century. Translated, the estate name means Good Hope. The windmill tower is in good condition.
Sugar cultivation came early to estate 18, with cane fields and an animal mill depicted on the 1750 map. The Beck map variations retained the animal mill through the early 1770s. The 1799 Oxholm map show a windmill in the center of bonne Esperance.
Curiously, the 1856 Parsons admiralty chart created specifically for aiding navigation depicts no windmill or tower at Bonne Esperance. The windmill tower remains an effective navigation aid into Salt River Bay. The 1921 topographic sheet shows old mill, while the later topographic maps show no ruins identifiable as a windmill at Bonne Esperance.
The 1750 map attributes ownership to Adrian von Beverhout. The maps in the 1760s and 1770s attribute ownership to C J Laurberg. By 1790 ownership of estate 18 transitioned to Benners.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.38) notes the name translated from French means Good Hope, cautioning not to confuse this estate with Estate Good Hope in West End Quarter.