Water ground is estate 40 in St. Croix’s Prince’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the animal mill was likely built in the mid 1750s.
In 1750, cotton was being cultivated in estate 40. By the 2nd Beck printing in the late 1750s, an animal mill appears and remains on the variants of the Beck map. Oxholm depicts an animal mill in the northeast section of the estate. None of the subsequent maps depict any structures.
The Beck variants attributed ownership to Richard Richardson and this remained consistent into the 1790s.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.195, 139) noted this as part of Old Pye or Williams’ Delight. In the 1920s, it was planted in sugar cane. In 1856, Bushby plantation combined this with Bog-of-Allen to the north.