Estate Walberg gaard – Animal Mill

Walberg gaard is estate 24 in St. Croix’s Prince’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the animal mill was likely built by 1750.

By 1750, sugar cane cultivated in estate 24 was being processed by an animal mill on the estate. This animal mill appears on all the variants of the Beck maps, including the printings, annotated copies, and manuscript copies along with the Küffner replication. Oxholm’s map depicts an animal mill and Parsons includes several structures. None of the subsequent maps depict any structures.

Ownership of estate 24 is attributed to Engelbert Hesselberg on all the Beck variants, including Küffner. Hesselberg remained the owner in 1790 & 1791.

McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.194) notes the old mill site and a well in the southwest corner of the estate.

Historic Maps of Walberg gaard

Snippet of the 1982 USGS topographic map featuring Prince's Quarter estate #24, currently named Walberg gaard.
The 1982 USGS topographic map shows no indication of ruins at Waldberggaard.
Snippet of the 1958 USGS topographic map featuring Prince's Quarter estate #24, currently named Walberg gaard.
The 1958 USGS topographic map shows no indication of ruins at Waldberggaard.
Snippet of the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey topographic map of 1920 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #24, currently named Walberg gaard.
The 1920 USCGS topographic sheet shows no ruins or structures in the area of Walberggaard.
Snippet of the Danish Atlantic Islands Association map of 1907 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #24, currently named Walberg gaard.
The 1907 map identifies an estate at Waldberg Guard.
Snippet of the Parsons map of 1856 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #24, currently named Walberg gaard.
Parsons’ 1856 map depicts structures but no animal mill at Walberg Guard.
Snippet of the Oxholm map of 1799 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #24, currently named Walberg gaard.
Oxholm’s 1799 map shows an animal mill in the southwest corner of the estate to the southwest of a ridge and northeast of the road at Walberg gaard.
Snippet of the Janssen map of 1791 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #24, currently named Walberg gaard.
The 1791 manuscript map after Beck by Janssen attributes ownership to Hesselberg.
Snippet of the Mühlenfels map of 1790 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #24, currently named Walberg gaard.
The 1790 manuscript map after Beck by Mühlenfels attributes ownership to Hesselberg.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of c.1770 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #24, currently named Walberg gaard.
The annotated Beck map of c.1770 depicts an animal mill just east of the stream in estate 24 and attributes ownership to Engelbert Hesselberg.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of 1770 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #24, currently named Walberg gaard.
The annotated Beck map of 1770 depicts an animal mill just east of the stream in estate 24 and attributes ownership to Engelbert Hesselberg.
Snippet of the undated annotated Beck map featuring Prince's Quarter estate #24, currently named Walberg gaard.
The undated annotated Beck map depicts an animal mill just east of the stream in estate 24 and attributes ownership to Engelbert Hesselberg.
Snippet of the Küffner map of 1767 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #24, currently named Walberg gaard.
Küffner’s 1767 manuscript copy of Beck’s map depicts a sugar mill and attributes ownership to Hesselberg in the area of Walbergaard.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of 1767 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #24, currently named Walberg gaard.
The annotated Beck map of 1767 depicts an animal mill just east of the stream in estate 24 and attributes ownership to Engelbert Hesselberg.
Snippet of the Zöllner manuscript copy of Beck from 1766 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #24, currently named Walberg gaard.
The Zöllner manuscript copy of Beck from 1766 depicts an animal mill just east of the stream in estate 24 and attributes ownership to Engelbert Hesselberg.
Snippet of the 1766 unsigned Beck manuscript copy featuring Prince's Quarter estate #24, currently named Walberg gaard.
The 1766 unsigned Beck manuscript copy depicts an animal mill just east of the stream in estate 24 and attributes ownership to Engelbert Hesselberg.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of 1766 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #24, currently named Walberg gaard.
The annotated Beck map of 1766 depicts an animal mill just east of the stream in estate 24 and attributes ownership to Engelbert Hesselberg.
Snippet of the Beck map printed circa 1757 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #24, currently named Walberg gaard.
Both Beck printings show an animal mill to the east of the stream in estate 24.
Snippet of the Beck map printed in 1754 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #24, currently named Walberg gaard.
Both Beck printings show an animal mill to the east of the stream in estate 24.
Snippet of the Cronenberg and von Jaegersberg map of 1750 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #24, currently named Walberg gaard.
The 1750 map by Cronenberg and von Jægersberg indicates sugar cultivation and structures including an animal mill in estate 24. Ownership attributed to Jorgen Harding.