Upper Love is estate 18 in St. Croix’s Prince’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the 1760s. Field reconnaissance failed to locate ruins identifiable as a windmill.
Sugar cultivation came early to Upper Love, with the 1750 map depicting an animal mill. Both Beck printings included an animal mill, with this being converted to a windmill on the annotated maps starting in 1766. The 1799 Oxholm map included a windmill, as does the 1856 Parsons map. None of the 20th century topographic maps included any ruins identifiable as a windmill.
The 1750 map attributed ownership to Piet de Wint, transitioning to Lucas De Windt’s heirs on the annotated Beck maps from 1766 to 1791.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.192) does not indicate a windmill in a relatively detailed physical description.