St George’s and Sally’s Fancy is estate 22 in St. Croix’s Prince’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the animal mill was likely built in the late 1750s or early 1760s.
By 1750, cane was being cultivated but no animal mill appeared. An animal mill first appeared on the 1766 annotated copy of Beck, and this animal mill appears on all but the 1770 and c.1770 annotated copies. None of the subsequent maps depict any substantial structures in estate 22.
Ownership attributed to Robert Tounsen on the Beck map variants. By 1790, ownership transitioned to John Heyliger.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.167) notes the hilly area was covered with trees and shrubbery and both sides of Mint Gut was planted in sugar cane in the 1920s. The spelling of the owner is changed to Robert Townson.