St. Georges and Sally’s Fancy is estate 27 in St. Croix’s Prince’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the late 18th century. Field reconnaissance failed to locate ruins identifiable as a windmill.
The 1750 map indicates sugar cultivation, and an animal mill first appears on the first Beck printing in 1754. The 1799 Oxholm map is the first to add a windmill, which also appears on the 1856 Parsons map. The ruins identifiable as a windmill on the 20th century topographic maps are easily confused with a well tower on the estate, although the location on the Oxholm and Parsons maps is provocative.
The 1750 map attributed ownership to Shogens Andersen. The annotated Beck maps and manuscript copies attribute ownership to William McDougall, except the 1770 annotated Beck map that attributes ownership to John Heiliger, an ownership that persisted through 1791.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.167) notes the numerous buildings and that, in the 1920s, the estate is planted in sugar cane.