Springfield is estate 11 in St. Croix’s Prince’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the late 18th century. The windmill tower is in good condition.
The 1799 Oxholm map depicts a windmill, the only indication on a historic map of a sugar mill here. The 20th century topographic maps all depict ruins identifiable as a windmill.
The annotated Beck maps and manuscript copies attribute ownership to Fossey’s heirs, except the c.1770 annotated copy that attributes ownership to Thomas Smitt and Jonathan Lord. By 1790 ownership transitioned to Bourke.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.183) notes that Springfield became absorbed into Two Friends estate.