Estate Paradise & Downings – Animal Mill

Paradise and Downings is estate 44 in St. Croix’s Prince’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the animal mill was likely built in the early 1750s.

By 1750, cane was being cultivated but no animal mill appeared. The animal mill does appear on both Beck printings, so was constructed by the early 1750s. This animal mill appears on all the Beck variants and the Küffner map of 1767 indicates a sugar mill. The Oxholm and Parsons map show no structures in the estate, as do all the subsequent maps.

All the Beck variants attribute ownership toe Joseph Jones’ heirs. By 1790, ownership transitioned to Daly.

McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.143) noted a house 1 mile from the southern coast and the area chiefly in sugar cane in the 1920s. The description notes the combination of split estates in the area, with Paradise and Downings merging with Adventure by 1856.

Historic Maps of Paradise & Downings Estate 44

Snippet of the 1982 USGS topographic map featuring Prince's Quarter estate #44, currently named Paradise and Downings.
The 1982 USGS topographic map shows ruins identifiable as an animal mill at Paradise.
Snippet of the 1958 USGS topographic map featuring Prince's Quarter estate #44, currently named Paradise and Downings.
The 1958 USGS topographic map shows ruins identifiable as an animal mill at Paradise.
Snippet of the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey topographic map of 1920 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #44, currently named Paradise and Downings.
The 1920 USCGS topographic sheet shows the Paradise Mill at elevation 162 feet in the northern portion at Paradise.
Snippet of the Danish Atlantic Islands Association map of 1907 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #44, currently named Paradise and Downings.
The 1907 map identifies an estate at Paradise.
Snippet of the Parsons map of 1856 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #44, currently named Paradise and Downings.
Parsons’ 1856 map depicts a windmill on top of a hill in the northwest corner of Paradise.
Snippet of the Oxholm map of 1799 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #44, currently named Paradise and Downings.
Oxholm’s 1799 map shows a windmill at Paradise.
Snippet of the Janssen map of 1791 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #44, currently named Paradise and Downings.
The 1791 manuscript map after Beck by Janssen attributes ownership to Daly.
Snippet of the Mühlenfels map of 1790 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #44, currently named Paradise and Downings.
The 1790 manuscript map after Beck by Mühlenfels attributes ownership to Daly.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of c.1770 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #44, currently named Paradise and Downings.
The annotated Beck map of c.1770 places no animal mill in estate 44 and attributes ownership to Joseph Jones’ heirs, with the southern half of the estate on c.1770 attributing ownership to Robert Stewart.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of 1770 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #44, currently named Paradise and Downings.
The annotated Beck map of 1770 places no animal mill in estate 44 and attributes ownership to Joseph Jones’ heirs, with the southern half of the estate on c.1770 attributing ownership to Robert Stewart.
Snippet of the undated annotated Beck map featuring Prince's Quarter estate #44, currently named Paradise and Downings.
The undated annotated Beck map places no animal mill in estate 44 and attributes ownership to John Willet.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of 1767 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #44, currently named Paradise and Downings.
The annotated Beck map of 1767 places no animal mill in estate 44 and attributes ownership to John Willet.
Snippet of the Küffner map of 1767 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #44, currently named Paradise and Downings.
Küffner’s 1767 manuscript copy of Beck’s map depicts a settlement but no sugar mill and attributes no ownership in the area of Paradise and Downings.
Snippet of the Zöllner manuscript copy of Beck from 1766 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #44, currently named Paradise and Downings.
The Zöllner manuscript copy of Beck from 1766 appears to include an animal mill, that is part of the ownership of neighboring estate 44 and attributes ownership to John Willet.
Snippet of the 1766 unsigned Beck manuscript copy featuring Prince's Quarter estate #44, currently named Paradise and Downings.
The 1766 unsigned Beck manuscript copy places no animal mill in estate 44 and attributes ownership to John Willet.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of 1766 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #44, currently named Paradise and Downings.
The annotated Beck map of 1766 places no animal mill in estate 44 and attributes ownership to John Willet.
Snippet of the Beck map printed circa 1757 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #44, currently named Paradise and Downings.
Neither Beck printing shows a sugar mill icon in estate 44.
Snippet of the Beck map printed in 1754 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #44, currently named Paradise and Downings.
Neither Beck printing shows a sugar mill icon in estate 44.
Snippet of the Cronenberg and von Jaegersberg map of 1750 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #44, currently named Paradise and Downings.
The 1750 map by Cronenberg and von Jægersberg indicates sugar cultivation and structures but no animal mill in estate 44. Ownership attributed to Joseph Johns.