Estate Orange Grove – Animal Mill

Orange Grove is estate 8 in St. Croix’s Prince’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the animal mill was likely built in the late 1750s or early 1760s.

The earliest sign of settlement in the estate 8 in Prince’s Quarter portion of Orange Grove was on the 1766 annotated Beck map, where an animal mill appears. The animal mill also appears in estate 8 on the 1767 annotated map and the 2 manuscript copies of Beck of 1766. No structures appear in estate 8 on Oxholm or Parsons or the subsequent maps, suggesting that the animal mill icon appears in estate 8 in error, rather than estate 31 of West End Quarter.

All the Beck variations attributed ownership to James Mead. By 1790, ownership transitioned to Taite Armstrong.

McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.140) notes that the village is in the valley, which lies in the West End Quarter portion of the joint estate, and that guavas grow wild. In the 1850s, the Scorpion survey used for Parsons map attributed ownership to Kelly.

Historic Maps of Orange Grove, Prince’s Quarter

Snippet of the 1982 USGS topographic map featuring Prince's Quarter estate #8, currently named Orange Grove.
The 1982 USGS topographic map shows no indication of ruins in the area of Orange Grove.
Snippet of the 1958 USGS topographic map featuring Prince's Quarter estate #8, currently named Orange Grove.
The 1958 USGS topographic map shows no indication of ruins in the area of Orange Grove.
Snippet of the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey topographic map of 1920 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #8, currently named Orange Grove.
The 1920 USCGS topographic sheet shows ruins identifiable as an animal mill at in the area of Orange Grove. Most of the ruins lie in the center of the 2-estate plantation.
Snippet of the Danish Atlantic Islands Association map of 1907 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #8, currently named Orange Grove.
The 1907 map identifies no estate in the area of Orange Grove.
Snippet of the Parsons map of 1856 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #8, currently named Orange Grove.
Parsons’ 1856 map depicts a windmill in the estate 31 of West End Quarter. However, no structures or names appear in estate 8 in Prince Quarter of Orange Grove.
Snippet of the Oxholm map of 1799 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #8, currently named Orange Grove.
Oxholm’s 1799 map shows a windmill in the estate 31 of West End Quarter. However, no structures or names appear in estate 8 in Prince Quarter of Orange Grove.
Snippet of the Janssen map of 1791 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #8, currently named Orange Grove.
The 1791 manuscript map after Beck by Janssen attributes ownership to Taite Armstrong.
Snippet of the Mühlenfels map of 1790 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #8, currently named Orange Grove.
The 1790 manuscript map after Beck by Mühlenfels attributes ownership to Taite Armstrong.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of c.1770 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #8, currently named Orange Grove.
The annotated Beck map of c.1770 adds a windmill in estate 8. James Mead. Estate 31 of West End Quarter and Estate 8 of Prince Quarter comprise Orange Grove. Later maps clarify that the sugar manufacturing took place in estate 31 of West End Quarter, calling into question the accuracy of these maps.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of 1770 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #8, currently named Orange Grove.
The annotated Beck map of 1770 dpeicted no mill in estate 8. James Mead. Estate 31 of West End Quarter and Estate 8 of Prince Quarter comprise Orange Grove. Later maps clarify that the sugar manufacturing took place in estate 31 of West End Quarter, calling into question the accuracy of these maps.
Snippet of the undated annotated Beck map featuring Prince's Quarter estate #8, currently named Orange Grove.
The undated annotated Beck map dpeicted no mill in estate 8. James Mead. Estate 31 of West End Quarter and Estate 8 of Prince Quarter comprise Orange Grove. Later maps clarify that the sugar manufacturing took place in estate 31 of West End Quarter, calling into question the accuracy of these maps.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of 1767 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #8, currently named Orange Grove.
The annotated Beck map of 1767 adds an animal mill in estate 8. James Mead. Estate 31 of West End Quarter and Estate 8 of Prince Quarter comprise Orange Grove. Later maps clarify that the sugar manufacturing took place in estate 31 of West End Quarter, calling into question the accuracy of these maps.
Snippet of the Küffner map of 1767 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #8, currently named Orange Grove.
Küffner’s 1767 manuscript copy of Beck’s map depicts no settlement and attributes no ownership in the area of Orange Grove.
Snippet of the Zöllner manuscript copy of Beck from 1766 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #8, currently named Orange Grove.
The Zöllner manuscript copy of Beck from 1766 adds an animal mill in estate 8. James Mead. Estate 31 of West End Quarter and Estate 8 of Prince Quarter comprise Orange Grove. Later maps clarify that the sugar manufacturing took place in estate 31 of West End Quarter, calling into question the accuracy of these maps.
Snippet of the 1766 unsigned Beck manuscript copy featuring Prince's Quarter estate #8, currently named Orange Grove.
The 1766 unsigned Beck manuscript copy adds an animal mill in estate 8. James Mead. Estate 31 of West End Quarter and Estate 8 of Prince Quarter comprise Orange Grove. Later maps clarify that the sugar manufacturing took place in estate 31 of West End Quarter, calling into question the accuracy of these maps.
Snippet of the annotated Beck map of 1766 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #8, currently named Orange Grove.
The annotated Beck map of 1766 adds an animal mill in estate 8. James Mead. Estate 31 of West End Quarter and Estate 8 of Prince Quarter comprise Orange Grove. Later maps clarify that the sugar manufacturing took place in estate 31 of West End Quarter, calling into question the accuracy of these maps.
Snippet of the Beck map printed circa 1757 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #8, currently named Orange Grove.
Neither Beck printing shows a sugar mill icon in estate 8.
Snippet of the Beck map printed in 1754 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #8, currently named Orange Grove.
Neither Beck printing shows a sugar mill icon in estate 8.
Snippet of the Cronenberg and von Jaegersberg map of 1750 featuring Prince's Quarter estate #8, currently named Orange Grove.
The 1750 map by Cronenberg and von Jægersberg indicates no cultivation in and makes no ownership attribution in estate 8.