Negro Bay [Golden Grove] is estate 47 in St. Croix’s Prince Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, if an animal mill was built in this estate, it was likely built in the late 1750s or early 1760s.
In 1750, the southern portion of estate 47 was planted in provisions. Estate 47 in Prince Quarter has the distinction of being subdivided on the printed Beck maps. Only the 1766 annotated Beck map depicted an animal mill, here in the southwestern extremity. None of the subsequent maps included an animal mill or other structures in the southern extreme of estate 47, although Oxholm placed the Fox windmill in the northern extreme.
The 1750 map attributes ownership to Thomas Leek. For this western portion of the estate, ownership was attributed to James Cunningham or his heirs.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.78, 135) notes the names Fox and Negrobay for estate 47.