Negro Bay (Fox) is estate 46 in St. Croix’s Prince’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the late 18th century. The windmill tower is in good condition.
The provision cultivation depicted on the 1750 map gave way to sugar cultivation by the mid-1750s, with an animal mill depicted on the second Beck printing. The 1799 Oxholm map included a windmill, although called the area Fox. The 1856 Parsons map included a windmill at Negro Bay. All the 20th century topographic maps include ruins identifiable as a windmill.
The 1750 map attributed ownership to Thomas Leek, most likely a spelling variant of Lake. All of the 1760s and 1770s annotated Beck maps and manuscript copies attribute ownership to Thomas Lake Senior. By 1790 ownership transitioned to Fitcomb.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.135) notes the Fox Mill on eastern bench of Patience Hill.