Mountain is estate 26 in St. Croix’s Prince’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the 19th century. Field reconnaissance failed to locate ruins identifiable as a windmill.
The first indication of sugar cultivation on a map is an animal mill in the center of the estate on the first Beck printing in 1754. This remained the case for the 1799 Oxholm map. The 1856 Parsons map adds a windmill in the same relative location. None of the 20th century topographic maps indicate ruins identifiable as a windmill.
The 1750 map attributed ownership to Richard Rodger. The Beck variants from 1766 to 1791, split ownership between Rogers in the west and Gosling in the east.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.131) notes that in the 1920s, Mountain planted in sugar cane and potatoes while mint all in sugar cane.