Mount Pleasant is estate 37 in St. Croix’s Prince’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the 1760s. Field reconnaissance failed to locate ruins identifiable as a windmill.
The 1750 map indicates sugar cultivation with the first animal mill appearing on the 1754 Beck map. In the estate 37 side of Mount Pleasant, the annotated Beck maps added sails to the animal mill to depict a windmill except the two 1770 annotated maps. The 1799 Oxholm map also shows a windmill, as does Parsons’ 1856. The 20th century topographic maps each show some sort of tower at the top of the hill, although whether or not that is meant to depict a windmill ruin is unclear.
The 1750 map attributed ownership to Lukas Thomas. The annotated Beck maps attributed ownership separately to Michael, Andreas Irvin, and Cornelius Kortwrights. Through 1791, ownership was maintained by Kortwright.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.131) notes cultivation of a corn patch (525 yards square in southwest corner) with the remainder in sugar cane in the 1920s.