Mount Pleasant is estate 36 in St. Croix’s Prince’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the animal mill was likely built in the early 1750s.
Estate Mount Pleasant includes both estates 36 and 37 and here, the animal mill in estate 36 is of interest since estate 37 had a windmill on the opposite side of the hill (or mount). By 1750, sugar was cultivated in estate 36 but no animal mill. Both Beck printings included an animal mill, remaining a feature for all of the Beck variants. The Küffner map included the icon for a sugar mill. The 1799 Oxholm map included an animal mill to the south of the hill in estate 36, the combined Mount pleasant. None of the subsequent maps depicted any structures.
In 1750, ownership was attributed to Sam Schmidt. Most of the Beck variants attributed ownership to Smit and Cunningham for most of the estate, with the 1766 unsigned manuscript attributing ownership only to Cunningham. Where ownership of the southern sliver is attributed, Will Ravensk was named. The 1770 annotated Beck map attributed ownership to Cornelius Kortwrights.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.131) notes the ownership by smith and Cunningham along with Will. Ravensk. In the 1920s, a corn patch along with sugar cane were growing, with the estate included with Plessen as Grant Estates.